Saturday 7 December 2013

Invitation

Today I bumped into someone I used to work with. We were both in the emergency ward of the hospital with injured kids. We worked together briefly, just a few months. We did disability care work and I knew he was a Christian then. He didn't have to say anything I just knew. Clean cut and happy to obey authority. The job was casual but for a year I had been employed for five days a week. New management had come in and I had been assigned to a particular client who would fit every couple of months. If he did fit he needed to have an injection administered or he would die. He was the only client like this I explained I wouldn't be comfortable doing this, but I'd be happy to get training to do this. My work dropped from five to four to three to two to one day a week. Then I had to quit. The guy I bumped into today, on the other hand said he'd be happy to take the client out. I know that he had never done disability care work before, I had introduced him to some aspects of the work and I had no reason to believe he had any more experience with give a needle to a fitting, strong, dying, grown man than I did. As my hours decreased his increased. I didn't hold it against him. Like me he probably was desperate for work and perhaps he genuinely believed that he could read the instructions on the needle and give it to the client if he was to fit. But it just felt like what ever the boss says I'll do it. Don't get me wrong I'll pretty much do anything for money and this job included wiping bums and washing when toileting doesn't happen near a toilet.


Anyway as we were about to leave the hospital and a nurse was asking for his attention he slipped in a invitation to a church carols service. My family is on the hunt for a church, after I was asked to leave our last church, yet I just don't want to go. I feel like I already know what it's going to be like. They're will be the pyramid scheme like talks about getting more people in, just without anyof the financial incentives that would come with an actual pyramid scheme. There's the really nice people who'd take ages to get to know, there's the shit boring music and sermons. Almost always the music team will be trying to sound like a Hillsong CD. The preacher will be trying to sound like a expert theologian. Neither of them are. Which is fine, the problem is that what they are trying to be and failing miserably. The kids club will be teaching my kids moralistic platitudes. All of which feels a million miles away from a homeless Jew who who hung on the cross for treason, betrayed by his own people. Of course I could be wrong but I'm not sure I'm up for going through all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment