Wednesday 18 December 2013

Bali

I have never been to Bali I have no desire to go either. I hear stories of rich westerners who tell me how some young kid has tried to sell them something they've spent hours making for only a few dollars. Not happy to get a huge bargain they then tell me how they spent twenty minutes bargaining them down a couple of dollars. For regular Bali visitors this is all just normal but to me this is what it sound like...

"Last weekend I met a young child living in poverty. They were so poor they couldn't even afford to go to school. He offered to sell me a t-shirt, something I was in need of at the time and well below market price. But I did not just buy it off them no I haggled him down. Now although I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $40 an hour I was quite happy to argue with a poverty stricken child for twenty minutes because one tenth the price I usually pay was not cheap enough. I then haggled him down enough to make sure he has almost no chance of ever getting himself out of poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment