Tuesday 19 November 2013

Anonymous

About ten years ago something happened. With the advent of blogs, Facebook and then Twitter people started saying what they think. This is when I started to get in trouble. I started to write about my political, religious and philosophical ideas I wrote about how I struggled with depression. To be clear I wasn't the sort of person who'd call people idiots if they held a different opinion to mine and I wouldn't write dramatic status updates about how I was going to kill myself or anything remotely like that. Instead I was liking or sharing the occasional article on an issue on Facebook or writing personal reflections on a religious or philosophical idea. Early on someone concluded after reading my blog that I wasn't really a Christian, this conclusion would also be reached by others later. I found out that what was really important was that I was a Christian like them. I've been told I don't really understand refugee issues. It was also suggested that i didn't get a job interview because of my blog (which didn't ever sight my name directly but I live in a small town so word could have got around). My opinions have just not been appropriate for the family I'm a part of, the faith I am in or the organisations I've worked for. I don't want to give those things up so I will remain silent and let people believe and hope that I am not who I actually am. I live in hope that one day things may change.

No comments:

Post a Comment